Health Department issues warning for toxic blue green algae at Lake Campbell
(SKAGIT COUNTY)— According to a news release from the county, a water sample taken from the east side of Campbell Lake on September 7, 2021 has shown significant levels of the blue green algae toxin Microcystin. The result from the King County Environmental Lab is 21.9 micrograms per liter of Microcystin per liter.
According to the Washington State Department of Health, the level of public health concern for microcystin is 8 micrograms microcystin per liter. The level of microcystin toxin in Lake Campbell has triggered the posting of Warning Signs around the lake.
Microcystin is a chronic liver toxin and can cause rash and other symptoms on exposure. The toxin will be highest within areas of scum and intense color in the water. Short-term exposure is not expected to cause immediate health impacts, but until follow up samples show the toxin has cleared, please follow the Warning Notice for Campbell Lake, which includes: Do not swim or water ski; Do not drink lake water; Keep pets and livestock away; Clean fish well and discard guts; Avoid areas of scum while boating and recreating.