NWCAA announces Partners for Clean Air winners
(MOUNT VERNON)– More than 50 businesses and organizations in Island, Skagit and Whatcom counties claimed honors in the Northwest Clean Air Agency’s annual Partners for Clean Air competition.
The awards recognize work that businesses and organizations receiving NWCAA air-quality permits did to protect and improve air quality during 2019. This year, NWCAA presented 15 Gold awards and 40 Silver awards.
“We recognize those organizations that try to do their part to reduce emissions and modify their operations to protect the air we all breathe,” said Mark Buford, NWCAA’s executive director. “But there is always more work to do, and we consult regularly with businesses about what they can do to help maintain the air quality we enjoy here.”
Businesses that win Gold awards must comply with all applicable air quality regulations for at least three years and employ additional clean air practices in at least two of these categories: energy efficiency; emissions reductions; air pollution prevention practices related to their specific business sector; and transportation, such as reducing commute trips, having no‐idling policies, and switching to cleaner vehicle fleets.
This year’s Gold winners are:
· Bellingham Professional Finishes
· Golden Nut Company, Blaine
· Island Transit, Coupeville
· La Conner Wastewater Plant
· Lakeside Industries Inc. – Belleville, Burlington
· LKQ Corp., Bellingham
· Miles Sand and Gravel – Aggregate Plant, Everson
· Miles Sand and Gravel – Belleville Plant, Burlington
· NorthStar Woodworks, Ferndale
· Praxair Inc., Ferndale
· Seattle City Light, Newhalem
· Skagit Farmers Supply – Burlington
· Skagit Ready Mix Concrete – CPC Materials Inc., Mount Vernon
· Stan’s Auto Body, Bellingham
· Whatcom Transportation Authority, Bellingham
Details about Gold winners’ clean air efforts are available on the NWCAA business recognition web page. A list of Silver award winners is also available on that page.